Skip to main content

Hank Aaron

What better way to begin to showcase my Nat'l Baseball HoF collection than with Hammerin' Hank Aaron! As you will see, I organize my overall collection alphabetically, and I organize my individual collections chronologically (mostly), and start it with a HoF postcard.



I recall watching the game Aaron broke Babe Ruth's home run record with my dad, and I've held onto this SI cover ever since. Aaron hit the record breaking home run off of the Dodger's Al Downing. I don't include too many pictures such as this in my collection, but I do make exceptions, especially for some of my favorite players or for some items from my kidhood.

HoF manager Walter Alston: "More than anyone else, Hank Aaron made me wish I wasn't a manager."


From L-R, and T-B, my collection starts with a 70 Milton Bradley playing card, followed by a 70 Topps TSN (ragged, but a cool card), and a Topps 71. Middle row shows a 71 Topps IA, a 73 APBA game card, and a 72 Topps. Bottom row: 72 Topps All-Time TB Leader, followed by one of my prized collection cards - a 1974 Topps card #1 of the New All-Time Home Run King. The last item is a pic I clipped from (one of the then two) Syracuse newspapers sometime in the early 70's, back when that was how you learned who made the All-Star team.


This sheet contains Topp's 1974 card no's 2 - 6 Hank Aaron Specials (love when they did this), another newspaper clipping from the 70's, a Topps 1975 '74 Highlights card, an empty pocket (room to grow the collection without having to reposition too many cards), and a Topps 75 1957 MVP with Mantle. I tend not to include cards with another person, or people, featured on the card unless the other person/people are also in the HoF, or some other selfish reason (favorite player or otherwise interesting card).

I should note that I recently purchased a 1957 Topps Aaron error card (reverse negative, shown above in the bottom right corner of the first / top left card), but I intend to post on that, and some other error cards, separately. But mainly because I just realized I didn't provide a holding place for it, and I don't want to reposition a bunch of cards (again).


Here I have a 75 SSPC from when Aaron was back in Milwaukee, 75 Hostess (still LOVE Ho-Ho's!), and 77 TCMA Galasso. The middle row starts with a card from a set of cards I can't identify showcasing Aaron's HR #700, a 1987 (?) Baseball Immortals card (SSPC HoF), and an 82 Kmart card. The bottom row starts with an 82 Donruss HoF Heroes, followed by an 87 (?) Hygrade (?) Baseball's All-Time Greats, and then an 87 TCMA card.


This sheet starts on the top row with a clipping from a 70's magazine (one of the reasons 44 is my favorite number), 88 Pacific, and an 88 Score Great Moments mini. The middle row starts with an 88 Topps TBTC, followed by a 90 Collect-A-Books, and then a 90 Pacific. The bottom row shows a 90 Score The MVP's mini, a 91 Kellogg's 3D, and a 92 Ziploc card (I think there were only about 10 or 11 cards in the Ziploc set).


Last sheet, top row: Donruss puzzle card (on the back it says "HEY KIDS! Cut carefully along lines to form your special HANK AARON puzzle." I wonder how many of these cards, and how many kid's fingers, got butchered doing this!), a Donruss puzzle piece, and a 91 Donruss Baseball Heroes card. Middle row: A 96 Topps with Mantle, space, and a cool 2013 Worlds Worst Chewing Gum card (love the name, and the retro photo of Aaron with the Indianapolis Clowns!). Bottom row: An 02 Topps 206, space, and a 2019 Topps Grapefruit League Greats.

From my experience, there doesn't seem to be too many post-playing career cards of Aaron out there compared to others from that era. Not sure why.

Well, there you have it. My first post on a player from my Nat'l HoF collection, and I love that Aaron comes up first. Hope you enjoyed!

CinciCuse Bill

Comments

  1. You've got pretty solid collection going there, looks like you're gonna need to start adding some 60's cards though, at least some of the cheaper league leader cards.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ballplayers Turned Announcers, Actors, Writers, Etc.

  We all know of ballplayers that become announcers, actors, or writers. This post shows cards for a few notable examples, as well as a few other players with occupations that you may not be aware of. Announcers 1952 Topps card #227. Not only was Joe Garagiola a catcher for parts of nine season with four clubs, but he was also an announcer, writer, and host of numerous television shows. Joe was honored by the Baseball Hall of Fame with the Ford C. Frick Award for outstanding broadcasting accomplishments and he was named as the 2014 recipient of the Buck O'Neil Lifetime Achievement Award, presented once every three years by the Baseball Hall of Fame for positive contributions to Major League Baseball.     1965 Topps card #65. Tony Kubek played for the Yankees for nine seasons, winning the 1957 Rookie of the Year award and selected to three All-Star games. Kubek played in six World Series in the late 1950s and early 1960s, starting in 37 World Series games. Upon his retirement, Kubek

Still on Break

 Once again, I’m just trying to keep blogger alive (does it ever die?). I continue to collect, but am not motivated yet to post. Hopefully I will someday soon. After all, what’s a collection if no one but you sees it? Stay well, CinciCuse Bill

Mordecai (Three Fingers) Brown

  After overcoming a serious childhood injury, Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown went on to become one of the greatest pitchers in baseball history. He won 239 games over 14 seasons in the majors, and his career ERA, 2.06, is sixth-best all-time. Played for the Reds in 1913 with an 11-12 record and a 2.91 ERA. 2004 National Baseball Hall of Fame Postcard. 1982 Dover Publications Reprints National League, T206, NNO. 2011 Monarch Corona Centennial Reprint Series #13. 1977 Dover Publications Classic Baseball Cards Reprints, #32. 1916 Sporting News (M101-5) Reprint #23. 1990 Interpretive Marketing Baseball Wit #89. 1987 TCMA 1907 Chicago Cubs, #2-1907. 1987 Hygrade All-Time Greats, NNO. 1982 Cramer Baseball Legends Series 3, #71. 1980-87 SSPC HOF Baseball Immortals #56. 1961 Fleer Baseball Greats #11. 1992 The Sporting News Conlon Collection #55.  Thanks for visiting. CinciCuse Bill