Skip to main content

No. 44's

 

Ever since I can remember, No. 44 has always been my favorite number. I can't say for sure when it started, but during my formative years I recall the likes of Hank Aaron, Jerry West, and Leroy Kelly wearing that number and that was good enough for me. And being from the Syracuse area, well, no. 44 is famous here for all the great SU football players that wore that number.

In baseball, we'll start with two baseball greats that wore No. 44.

National Baseball Hall of Famer, Hank Aaron.

1973 Topps card #100.

National Baseball Hall of Famer, Willie McCovey.

1970 Topps card #250.

Next we'll show early famous No. 44's from Syracuse University starting with Jim Brown (1954 - 1956), followed by Ernie Davis (1959 - 1961 including the 1961 Heisman Trophy winner, becoming the first African-American to do so), and then Floyd Little (1964 - 1966). These gents rank among the finest running backs to ever play the game.

National Football Hall of Famer Jim Brown.

 

Image of Jim Brown while at SU, courtesy of Pinterest. I once owned an early Jim Brown card, as well as many other early 70's football and basketball cards. But ever since my early card collecting years I lost interest in sports other than baseball. So years ago I sold my entire football and basketball card collections for a nice sum at a big card show in downstate. The money from that sale helped pave the way for me to improve my baseball card collection.

College Football Hall of Famer, Ernie Davis.

Image of 1961 Ernie Davis Nu-Cards, card #143, courtesy of Trading Card Database (TCDb). Davis was the first pick in the 1962 NFL Draft. Selected by the Washington Redskins, he was then almost immediately traded to the Cleveland Browns. Davis was diagnosed with leukemia in the summer of 1962 and died less than a year later at age 23, without ever playing in a professional game. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1979, and was the subject of the 2008 Universal Pictures film The Express: The Ernie Davis Story, based on the non-fiction book Ernie Davis: The Elmira Express, by Robert C. Gallagher. I've never had an Ernie Davis card. This would be a cool one to have.

National Football Hall of Famer Floyd Little.

1968 Topps, card # 173, courtesy of TCDb. This was one of the cards I once had but sold as noted above.

National Football Hall of Famer Leroy Kelly.

Image of 1970 Topps card #20, courtesy of TCDb. This was also one of the cards I once had but sold.

National Basketball Hall of Famer Jerry West.


 Image of 1970-71 Topps card #160, courtesy of TCDb. Another card I once had but sold.

National Basketball Hall of Famer Pistol' Pete Maravich.

Image of 1972-73 Topps card #5, courtesy of TCDb. And another card I used to have.

In more recent years, the Reds had a couple of pretty decent No. 44's in...

Cincinnati Reds Hall of Famer Eric Davis.

1986 Topps card #28.

Cincinnati Reds Hall of Famer Adam Dunn.

2006 Topps Opening Day card #115.

And of course there's this No. 44...

Art card.

I must confess, seeing those vintage football and basketball cards I once owned makes me yearn for them again. But I don't regret selling them as my baseball card collection has significantly improved from that action. 

Do you have a favorite number? Why?

Thanks for clicking.

CinciCuse Bill

Comments

  1. When it comes to sports... I liked 4 (Byron Scott) and 19 (Tony Gwynn).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reggie Jackson is a very prominent #44 you didn't mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call, but he didn't wear that no. when he was with Oakland (no. 9 maybe?), and that's when I was focused in on baseball. I became less interested in him when he became a Yankee.
      Be well!

      Delete
  3. That's a pretty good list of 44's! I've never been one to pay much attention to jersey numbers, and I don't really have a favorite number. I wore #11 when I played basketball, but it's never brought me much luck as far as a number goes, so I can't even call that a number that I'm fond of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post. As a Syracuse Alum, #44 is definitely a special number. I just wish they'd unretire it and keep the legacy going. As a Yankee fan, obviously Reggie was a great #44 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this topic. It would be fun to see this for other numbers, too. My favorite 44s are the first and last ones you mentioned. Usually I like to suggest hockey players for things like this, but the best one is Chris Pronger and I cant stand that guy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ballplayers Turned Announcers, Actors, Writers, Etc.

  We all know of ballplayers that become announcers, actors, or writers. This post shows cards for a few notable examples, as well as a few other players with occupations that you may not be aware of. Announcers 1952 Topps card #227. Not only was Joe Garagiola a catcher for parts of nine season with four clubs, but he was also an announcer, writer, and host of numerous television shows. Joe was honored by the Baseball Hall of Fame with the Ford C. Frick Award for outstanding broadcasting accomplishments and he was named as the 2014 recipient of the Buck O'Neil Lifetime Achievement Award, presented once every three years by the Baseball Hall of Fame for positive contributions to Major League Baseball.     1965 Topps card #65. Tony Kubek played for the Yankees for nine seasons, winning the 1957 Rookie of the Year award and selected to three All-Star games. Kubek played in six World Series in the late 1950s and early 1960s, starting in 37 World Series games. Upon his retirement, Kubek

Still on Break

 Once again, I’m just trying to keep blogger alive (does it ever die?). I continue to collect, but am not motivated yet to post. Hopefully I will someday soon. After all, what’s a collection if no one but you sees it? Stay well, CinciCuse Bill

Mordecai (Three Fingers) Brown

  After overcoming a serious childhood injury, Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown went on to become one of the greatest pitchers in baseball history. He won 239 games over 14 seasons in the majors, and his career ERA, 2.06, is sixth-best all-time. Played for the Reds in 1913 with an 11-12 record and a 2.91 ERA. 2004 National Baseball Hall of Fame Postcard. 1982 Dover Publications Reprints National League, T206, NNO. 2011 Monarch Corona Centennial Reprint Series #13. 1977 Dover Publications Classic Baseball Cards Reprints, #32. 1916 Sporting News (M101-5) Reprint #23. 1990 Interpretive Marketing Baseball Wit #89. 1987 TCMA 1907 Chicago Cubs, #2-1907. 1987 Hygrade All-Time Greats, NNO. 1982 Cramer Baseball Legends Series 3, #71. 1980-87 SSPC HOF Baseball Immortals #56. 1961 Fleer Baseball Greats #11. 1992 The Sporting News Conlon Collection #55.  Thanks for visiting. CinciCuse Bill