A player hitting four home runs in one game has only been achieved 18 times in MLB history. No one has done it twice. In this collection, I try to obtain cards that acknowledge this rare feat with preferably some notation on the front of the card, but if I can't find that I look for some acknowledgement on the back of the card.
1. On Memorial Day May 30, 1894 Bobby Lowe became the first MLB player to hit 4 HRs in one game when his Boston Beaneaters beat the Cincinnati Reds 20 - 11. The HRs were hit consecutively. Although this card pictures Bobby Lowe with Milwaukee of the Western Association, he made it to the majors in 1890 and spent 18 years in the majors. His best season was 1894 when he had 212 hits, 17 HRs, 115 RBIs and a .346 BA.
|Bobby Lowe Old Judge Reprint.|
|1950 B.E. Callahan - tape stains and all.|
With his physical abilities deteriorating, on May 2, 1939, after his 2,130th consecutive game, Gehrig benched himself. He never played another game. Ultimately, Gehrig was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, a.k.a. Lou Gehrig's disease) on June 19, 1939, which was Gehrig's 36th birthday. On July 4, 1939 Gehrig delivered his famous "The luckiest man on the face of the earth" speech. Gehrig passed away on June 2, 1941.
|1989 Pacific card #174.|
|2014 Panini Classics card #7.|
|1948 Leaf card #73.|
|1961 Nu-Card Baseball Scoops card #441.|
|1961 Nu-Card Baseball Scoops card #433.|
|1961 Nu-Card Baseball Scoops card #468.|
|1992 Upper Deck card #49 of 54. Oddly, this was the most elusive card for me to obtain for this project.|
|1983 The Star Co. card #10.|
|1987 Fleer card #632.|
Whiten's 12 RBIs tied a major-league single-game record set by Sunny Jim Bottomley, also a former Syracuse Chief. In 104 games as a Chief in 1990, Whiten hit 14 HRs with 48 RBIs and had an impressive .290/.353/.467 slash line.
|1993 Pinnacle/Score card #315.|
In 1998, Cameron was dealt from the ChiSox to the Reds for Paul Konerko. Then, after a very fine 1999 season with the Reds (helping to lead them to a 1-game play-in loss against the Mets for the last playoff spot), Cameron was part of the blockbuster Ken Griffey, Jr. trade. In 2000, Cameron and Jake Meyer (minors), Antonio Perez, and Brett Tomko went to the Seattle Mariners for Ken Griffey Jr.
|2002 Topps card #332 with autograph.|
In 109 games as a Syracuse Chief in 1994, Green hit 13 HRs with 61 RBIs and had an impressive .344/.401/.510 slash line.
|2002 Topps event series card #ES2.|
Delgado played most of 1994 (along with Green) and 1995 with the Syracuse Chiefs. In those two years, Delgado hit 41 HRs with 132 RBIs and averaged .319 with a .403 OBP.
|2004 Upper Deck Home Run Heroes card #HH-CD.|
|2009 Topps T206 card #266.|
|2017 Topps Now card #222.|
|2017 Topps Now card #563.|
- Hall of Famers: 5 (and at least 5 near misses).
- Two players that hit 4 HRs in a loss (Delahanty & Horner).
- Team with the most players to hit 4 HRs in a game: Braves with 3 players (Lowe, Adcock, & Horner).
- Two number 1 draft picks (Horner & Hamilton).
- Former Syracuse Chiefs: 3 (Whiten, Green, & Delgado).
|1975 Topps card #13.|
|2011 Syracuse Chiefs Choice SportsCards card #2.|